I live in Texas. Therefore Thanksgiving is synonymous with football. Professional, college and high school...and I love every minute of it. Not only did the Cowboys have a fantastic game on Thursday, but we got to witness a stellar high school game today. My darlin' husband's high school team, the Southlake Carroll Dragons, played Trinity High School today at Texas Stadium. Almost 47,000 people in attendance and two teams that were very well-matched in talent. Nothing better to help burn off that turkey and extra pie then jumping up & down and balancing on the edge of your seat. It was a great game and the Dragons prevailed 22-21. I am also maniacally happy about it because Trinity once knocked MY very own high school team (the infamous Grapevine Mustangs) out of the playoffs. Aaahhh, retribution. That was, of course, many moons ago but the wound has yet to heal.
Why all this talk about football? What is it about the sport that brings people together and rouses feelings of nostalgia? Who knows...but I love it. All of it. The sounds, the smells, the painted faces and cheerleaders that don't know the words to the school song. It embodies all that is good about this country...and about Texas. :)
In other important football news:
Waco High School wins over Dallas-Hillcrest to advance to the next round of the 4A Division II playoffs (go Lions!!)
Grapevine kicks off tomorrow against DeSoto in round 2...we'll see how that goes.
AND...last but not least:
Texas A&M: 12
Texas: 7
Wow...an upset of epic proportions. I still can't believe it. We followed the game from our seats at Texas stadium via my cell phone and a sweet Aggie girl with a Walkman. Again, community at it's best (and well, at its most annoying when it comes to Aggies...like my precious darlin' loving man). While I can admit no love for either team (BOTH smushed my Baylor Bears on the field this year), it is always fun to see an underdog pull one out. That, and Darlin' will be in a right fine mood for at least 2 months because of the victory and will likely be more then willing to cheerfully do my bidding! Which, after all, is what I am really after.
No comments:
Post a Comment