Thursday, February 24, 2005

Space

No, not the final frontier...but "space" as is "Looking For Space", the title of my little corner of the e-world. Since I know only 2 people who are aware of my bolg have a prayer at knowing what the title means, I'll explain...I know the rest of you are dying to know. And even if you're not...well...you don't have to read on.

Let me start with a confession: Hello, my name is Sarah and I am a HUGE John Denver fan. (here is were the 2 of you are also in this club say "Hi Sarah"). No, I didn't grow up in the 60's and no, I don't smoke pot (but I would if it was legal!). I'm just an almost-thirty, tree-hugging, organic-food loving, sporadic yoga-practicing, wannabee hippie. Perhaps it was all the John Devner I heard in-utero and while growing up that has made this music such a part of the fabric of my life. I am fortunate to have found and married the only other under 30 John Denver fan, so I don't feel too out of place. Well, except at stop lights with the windows down belting out "Rocky Mountain High"...that will get you some odd looks from teenagers and some knowing smiles from the baby boomers.

"Looking For Space" is one of my favorite John Denver songs...and trust me, I have many favorites. It is a song about finding out who you are in this world -- through highs and lows - and accepting life as it comes to you. I find that this song meant something special to me in high school, had another unique meaning while I was in college, and means something entirely different then both today. I think I am not so much looking for my space now as I am creating and exploring the space I am in.

It is a great thing to be comfortable in your own shoes.

No comments: