Star Wars Episode III is quite possibly...no, I'll say...it IS the most highly anticipated film in history. Can you think of another that even comes close?? Star Wars reaches across generational, financial, international, racial and social boundaries with one purpose: to entertain. I for one think this is something George Lucas does extremely well with all of his films. I hear those critics who loudly complain that Lucas ruined the Star Wars legacy with the first two prequels -- those extremely obsessed, so-called fans that over-analyze the exact words and sentence structure of the dialogue -- those who simply live to find holes in the plots. Although I appreciate their enthusiasm, let's not make it more then it is. These movies are intended to be entertaining and to stylistically follow in the footsteps of not only classic early films but in the legacy of world mythology. Say what you will about these films, but we must remember that this is one man's art -- his creative dream -- and we are ever so lucky that he has shared it with generations of us.
I am taking off work tomorrow to see this movie. I love the Star Wars world and think that VH1 "Best Week Ever" got it right -- Star Wars is like pizza...even if its really bad...hey! Its still pizza & who doesn't like pizza?". That made me smile -- so simple, yet true. I will love this movie no matter what. Heck, I "saw" the first one in 1977 in-utero -- I kind of have an obligation to be there! :)
I am simply not looking forward to the barrage of criticism that I know I will hear first thing in the morning from those who call themselves "fans" yet set to rip the movie to shreds because it did not meet their expectations. You know what? It isn't supposed to meet their expectations -- the only expectations that must be met are those of its creator. You don't like it? Write your own screenplay -- create your own universe and legacy. That is the brilliance of it all-- we all have within us the ability to create something grand...yet we would rather pick apart someone else's work then spend the time and energy required to make our own. Yes, everyone has their own tastes and opinions -- that is what makes us unique. But when some one puts their creative life's work out there for the world to see there is a certain amount of respect merited. Sure, Lucas is making more money off this then I will ever know...sure it is mass marketing at it best/worst...but that is not where this dream started for him. It started as just that...a dream...and I have the utmost admiration and respect for anyone who believes in their dream that much. Think about that as you sit in your cubicle or on your couch and read the reviews of this movie. Save the criticism and ask yourself: what am I doing to make MY dream a reality? Until you have risked it all to see something through as George Lucas has...don't condemn his art.
No comments:
Post a Comment