Friday, September 02, 2005

Watching the News

There are probably a ton of typos in this...its late & I should really be in bed, but I had to get this out of my head first...

I'm glad I am not the only one who can't seem to look away from the news...like I am doing these people a disservice if I ignore their suffering and go about my comfortable life. I feel overwhelmed by the situation the people there are in & powerless to do anything besides give money (which I know helps!!!). A woman I have known and worked beside for the past 4 years is the regional director of the Red Cross and is working beyond tirelessly to get aid to those who need it...as she always does. I can not express the tremendous amount of respect I have for her and the organization she works with.

I find myself thinking about what is happening on the Gulf Coast a lot...dwelling on the little things like, how did people leave their pets behind? what about family heirlooms, pictures and "things" that can never be replaced? What a loss of history and tradition our country has suffered - so much of the identity of that region is sitting underwater, never to be recovered...I know none of these are as precious as a human life, but these are the things that I can relate to - that make this tragedy real to me.

We have a lot of refugees coming to Texas right now and the out-pouring of generosity has been amazing. It is comforting to me to know that if and when we can get these people out of the devastated areas that the WILL have help. We have several hundred people here in our community as I type and the organizations hosting them say they have enough supplies for everyone.

But still, I am wondering what will be happening in a month, in six, a year, 10 years. What is the long-term impact on these people, the children and the cities & regions they left and are now in? We are enrolling kids in schools here who were displaced by Katrina...will they be uprooted again when it’s safe to go back...and if they have something to go back to?

I have no doubt that this event will define this generation. But what will we take from it? Will we move forward defined by our questions, sadness, anger & mistrust? Or will we be defined by the hope, generosity, and the resilience of the human spirit? Only time will tell.

The most touching bit of news I heard today that was that of all the countries & nations that offered aid to the U.S....of all of them...an offer came from Sri Lanka. A country devastated and torn apart was willing to reach out to others in need and do what they could. That truly gives me hope for the future.

No comments: