Wednesday, May 24, 2006

American Idolatry

I simply can not understand the fascination people have with American Idol. Is more over-produced, packaged & promoted music really what this country needs? Think about the musicians who have truly shaped our country's musical history...people that did something that had never been done before...from Bing Crosby to Ella Fitzgerald, the pioneers of folk and jazz, Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, the Grateful Dead...would any of those people been chosen as the next "big thing" in America? Doubtful.

Maybe that is the question to ask. Is there anything unique about the music being produced today? Is there anything that has not been done? I know there are musicians out there who are talented (not just pretty and a good "product")...go to Austin, TX on any given night and you'll see that real talent is still alive. The problem is that the general public only gets to see what can be quickly mass-produced and marketed to bring in the most most money. I find this extremely sad. Music has played a tremendous part in human history -- as a means of expression, a unifying force and something, perhaps, that can communicate across the lines of race, gender and country. Anyone think that Ms. Clarkson (even with her tremendous vocal range) has the power to do any of that? I think no...at least not through what her handlers will let us see of her. I am sure that many of the "musicians" of today do have talent and passion and creativity...but end up selling out in the end to the highest bidder.

I think that is my ultimate beef with American Idol. It is perpetuating another generation of sell-outs...give up your art, your creativity and your soul and we'll make you famous...for at least five minutes.

While I do owe the up-coming marriage of two of the best people I know to American Idol, that is by far the only good I can see coming out of it. And for me, that will have to be enough.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

AHHH...I do understand your grief with American Idol, but as much as I love you my best friend Sarah, you can be a music snob. I know there are the Fantasia's and Ruben Studdards to which we haven't heard their names since their winning of the American Idol. However, Ms. Clarkson's album, I have happily bought. She earned her street credit, even if it was on a primetime fox show. I do remember your hatred of Pat Green after he "sold out" to country music. I love his "sold out" music, and his pre "sold out" music. He is great at what he does, and doesn't have to be a small town local legend to be good at it. I know, he's doing Chevy commericals and other things too, but if you had the opportunity to make more money for your family by spending 30 seconds promoting a car would you do it? The question I must ask is does an artist have to change the musical world to be good? Probably not, but as you wrote in an e-mail today, "I was listening to Salt n Pepa," hardly life changing musicians, but some of the most enjoyable ones all the same.

Sarah said...

LOL! You know that I pride myself on being a music snob! :) It is what I DO. I admit it openly and honestly and with full understanding that most people do not share my opinions. I will give you credit that many of these people are very, very talented. My frustration comes from the way they are handled and packaged...I think the industry tries so hard to fit everyone in to one "Top 40" mold so much so that we don't get to see their FULL talent and creative art. Clarkson is a great example. She has an amazing voice but I think they over-process her music so much that it hides how great she really is. AND...there are SO MANY talented people out there that don't fit in to the industry's mold so we never get to see them. THAT is my frustration...perhaps in the form of misplaced anger at American Idol. Oh, but don't talk to me about Pat Green. You know it sends me over the edge! lol! :)