Friday, May 26, 2006

Women: Be who you are and who you want to be!

I know too many women who are scared to death to be themselves. Women who want approval so badly they wear clothes they don’t like, have jobs they hate, marriages that make them miserable and are in a constant state of stress about what people may think. I openly admit that I am not immune to this and it is a daily struggle for me. Why does this happen to generation after generation of women? We are the crown jewel of creation yet we spend our lives trying to change ourselves inside and out. Is this symptom of modern society? Maybe. It certainly does not seem to be going away with out a fight. Just look at the cover of EVERY magazine in the check-out line at the grocery store. Each and every one says something about changes we should make to our lives, our bodies, our schedules, our relationships, etc. No wonder women all over this world are popping antidepressants like candy! We have been taught from birth that we are both “too much” and “not enough”.

This can only change when we realize our inherent value and worth and make a conscious decision to ignore societal demands and start living our lives as we were intended to: FREE. I say start small. Buy that twirling skirt you think you “can’t pull off” or the fun jewelry that really isn't “you”. Read books by inspiring women (I recommend Women Who Run with the Wolves, Women’s Bodies Women’s Wisdom, Captivating, anything by SARK, Jill Conner Browne (The Sweet Potato Queen), Louise Hay or Iyanla Vanzant). Learn about women’s health and sexuality. Get to know yourself and fall in love with you.

I learned a great lesson in a book by Iyanla Vanzant: Not everyone is going to like you. And it is not their job to like you. Their not liking you has nothing to do with you. It has to do with the stuff that is going on in their lives. There is nothing you can do about this so move on.

I think this is an extremely difficult lesson for most women to learn. We want to please and be liked by every single person we meet. We must realize that this can never be reality and must stop wasting precious life, time, and energy trying to make it so. I have learned that people are so much more drawn to women who are comfortable and confident in who they are. Does that mean you’ll never have a bad day, get PMS, or feel insecure? Hell no. But you will go through those things knowing that you have the strength and wisdom to learn from everything and find your way back to a state of balance. Its all part of life. Stop resisting and start living. Life is too short/too long to be miserable. You ARE worth it!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I love reading what you write. It reminds me that maybe I should stop obsessing about flabby arms on my wedding day.