So my best girl friend has said "I do", kissed the groom and is off on a cruise to Jamaica. The wedding was, of course, beautiful and perfect and I could not be happier for Chris & Shannon (& Velcro...he is no longer a bastard kitty!).
But it got me thinking...how people find each other, fall in love and decide that THIS is what they want for the rest of their lives? I am still suckling at the forever-love teet -- I still believe it is real and it happens...if we let it. But then why do so many marriages fail? Is it, as some say, that the institution of marriage is not realistic? Are we all meant to be horny little suckers ever-searching for the next thrill? I just can't believe that is true. I think we are just a bunch a lazy quitters. The paradox has come to mind because in the midst of sending our friends off into what I know will be wedded bliss, we have been watching the 37-year marriage of another couple disintegrate. Two people who have been sweethearts since they were teenagers, have raised three children, and been nothing less then shining examples of what to do. I just can't believe that he just woke up one day and realized he didn't love her. I can't fathom that she is so desperate to win him back that she has resorted to following him, checking his cell phone and credit cards. It is so very sad to me.
I admittedly have a super-huge crush on a celebrity-chef/sexy guy with a TV show on the Travel Channel who will remain nameless (tee hee hee!). Don't worry, my husband knows and thinks it is in the top ten of wildly funny things of the century and constantly teases me. I bring this up because even with my crazy crush on someone I'll never know (I still play "what if"...you know, he came to Waco, saw me across a crowded room and instantly knew how down-to-earth and groovy I am)...regardless of my silly fantasy crush, I could not ACTUALLY imagine being with anyone besides the man sitting across the table from me right now.
So what makes some relationships stick and other fall apart? Doesn't everyone one, at some point in the relationship, have the same "this is the ONE" feeling? What changes, goes wrong, or stops working? What can you say to the newlyweds to help them avoid the pitfalls?
Again, I don't know the answers...I just ask the questions.
No comments:
Post a Comment